If you’re looking to repair a chipped, fractured, or decayed tooth, then dental fillings may be the right treatment for you. The type of dental filling material is arguably the most important factor in determining your cost of treatment.
Other factors that may affect the cost include:
- The severity of your tooth damage – larger fillings are more expensive
- The location of the damaged tooth – back teeth are more expensive
- Any additional procedures that may be required – like removing decay
- Location of dental practice
Before any dentist recommends dental fillings, they need to thoroughly examine the extent of damage on the tooth, which usually requires an X-ray. After determining that a dental filling can successfully repair the damage, your dentist proceeds by preparing the tooth for the filling. This process involves administering an anesthetic to numb the tooth, removal of any decay from the tooth, and placement of the filling material.
There are different types of dental filling materials, and your choice of material will also impact the cost of treatment. Here is the breakdown depending for different types of fillings:
- Silver or amalgam fillings – Despite concerns about exposure to mercury from silver fillings, some people may choose them because they’re the cheapest treatment option
- Composite resin fillings – Tooth-colored fillings cost a little more than amalgam fillings, depending on other factors. They are preferred because of their aesthetic result, though they may not be fully covered by insurance.
- Ceramics or porcelain fillings – These fillings are also tooth-colored, but are usually more expensive than the other options.
Dental fillings are mostly used in dental emergencies, so your dental insurance may cover it fully, for amalgam fillings. For other types of fillings, you may need to pay some or all of the cost out-of-pocket. Please find out from your dental insurance provider about the extent of your cover before consulting with your dentist in Pilsen CHI. This will help you determine how much more you may need to pay.